In February and March 2020, nurseries sold out of seedlings faster than they could get them back on the shelf and the seed packages at Mitre 10 and Bunnings disappeared in no time. A lot of people started out with the hope to be more self-sufficient, but unfortunately things didn't always turn out so well. Sounds familiar?
We are here to help!
With this crash course in growing food we will teach you
- how to raise plants from seeds successfully
- how to start a garden from scratch
- how to transplant tender seedlings
- how to grow carrots and other root crops successfully
- what plants to grow when
- integrated pest and disease management
- soil health and fertility, the soil food web
- feeding the soil and your plants: how to set up a worm farm and bokashi composting
You will walk away with a comprehensive booklet, two punnets with freshly sown seeds and fire in your belly to get started!
Tutor: Cornelia Holten
MEd (Integrative Learning), Certificate in Organic Horticulture and Herbal Medicine
Cornelia is an herbalist and slow food educator with a passion for simple living, DIY, herbs and self-sufficiency. A certificate in Organic Horticulture, the Soil Food Web, an Apprenticeship in Herbal Medicine and living on a farm in Pigeon Bay equip her with a lot of knowledge and experience with growing food and living a healthy life. She is teaching workshops on sustainable food systems, whole foods, fermentation, primal diets and organic gardening. A thirst for knowledge and a passion for new scientific studies keep her well informed on those topics.
Terms and Conditions
- A spot is reserved as soon as the full payment is received.
- There are maximum numbers for each workshop and you will be placed on a waiting list once the workshop is full. You will be updated via email if a space becomes available. Full refund is given for amount paid if no space is granted.
- The workshop will start on time. Please make sure to arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of the workshop. You are welcome to come up to 20 minutes before the workshop and have a wander around our garden and property.
- Please calculate enough time to get to our property. We are a scenic 1.5 hour drive from Christchurch in Pigeon Bay (details per email). If you arrive late please respect the running of the workshop.
- Cancellation policy:
- full refund is given if cancellation is made within 2 weeks of the workshop
- 50% refund is given if cancellation is made 13-3 days before the workshop
- no refund is given if cancellation is made within 2 days of the workshop
- full refund is given if KoruKai is cancelling the workshop due to unforeseen circumstances
- minimum number of attendees for the workshop to go ahead is 10. If the minimum number is not reached two days before the workshop, the workshop is cancelled per email notification and any payment made will be refunded
- full refund is given if attendee cannot make the postponement date in case of rain on the actual workshop day (just applies to workshops with postponement date stated)