Learn how to grow nutritious food for you and your family in your own backyard. In this workshop, we will cover many topics that will help you get started to grow a productive garden, that is capable of feeding you and your family throughout the year.
Growing your own food not only provides you with chemical free vegetables, but also saves you a lot of money and plastic packaging.
- Basic principles of organic gardening: soil health and fertility
- Propagating your own seedlings from seeds and cuttings
- Handling and transplanting seedling
- Direct sowing vs transplanting
- Site assessment: soil analysis, soil tests, wind, sun and shelter
- Starting a garden from scratch: converting a lawn into a garden, creating garden beds & and building raised beds
- Watering systems
- Weeding strategies
- Bokashi composting
- Integrated pest and disease management
This workshop is tailored for beginner gardeners. No experience necessary.
Come along to our stunning place in Pigeon Bay and bring all your questions in regard to gardening.
Tutor: Cornelia Holten
With a background in teaching and a Masters Degree in Montessori Education, Cornelia is well equipped to present her knowledge in an informative way.
A Certificate in Organic Horticulture, an Apprenticeship in Herbal Medicine and living on a farm in Pigeon Bay equip her with a lot of knowledge and experience with growing food and living a healthy life. Together with her husband Kai, who is the bee-keeper, mushroom-grower and permaculturist in the family, they raise their two children on a block with 15 acres. They grow all their vegetables, raise animals and run their herb farm business KoruKai.
Terms and Conditions
- A spot is reserved as soon as the full payment is received.
- There are maximum numbers for each workshop and you will be placed on a waiting list once the workshop is full. You will be updated via email if a space becomes available. Full refund is given for amount paid if no space is granted.
- The workshop will start on time. Please make sure to arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of the workshop. You are welcome to come up to 30 minutes before the workshop and have a wander around our garden and property.
- Please calculate enough time to get to our property. We are a scenic 1.5 hour drive from Christchurch in Pigeon Bay (details per email). If you arrive late please respect the running of the workshop.
- Cancellation policy:
- full refund is given if cancellation is made within 2 weeks of the workshop
- 50% refund is given if cancellation is made 13-3 days before the workshop
- no refund is given if cancellation is made within 2 days of the workshop
- full refund is given if KoruKai is cancelling the workshop due to unforeseen circumstances
- minimum number of attendees for the workshop to go ahead is 10. If the minimum number is not reached two days before the workshop, the workshop is cancelled per email notification and any payment made will be refunded
- full refund is given if attendee cannot make the postponement date in case of rain on the actual workshop day (just applies to workshops with postponement date stated)